A few items to note from this week’s 2017 budget appropriations bill•
On Monday, Congress released a $1.16 trillion FY (fiscal year) 2017 Omnibus appropriations bill, which includes the 11 unfinished FY 2017 appropriations bills, funding the government through the remainder of the current fiscal year which runs through September 30.
Of note to Opportunity Nation Coalition members and our community:
- $12.1 billion for the Department of Labor, an $83 million decrease from FY 2016
- $68 billion for the Department of Education, a $1.2 billion decrease from FY 2016
- Restores funding for year-round Pell
- $50 million increase for TRIO Programs
- $17 million increase for GEAR UP
- Level funding for Perkins CTE
- $25 million increase for 21st Century Community Learning Centers
- $400 million for the new Title IV block grant, a new grant program created by the Every Student Succeeds Act
- Level funding for AmeriCorps
- Eliminates funding for the Social Innovation Fund (SIF)
The House voted on the legislation today and the Senate vote is expected to follow by the end of the week. The current continuing resolution (CR) expires this Friday, May 5.